Marriage. I love the idea that each spouse gives 100 percent of their effort into maintaining a marriage. When we first met my husband, Kevin, he realized that I had a strong desire to serve a mission, and it wasn't something that I was going to give up. Right at the beginning, he knew if he wanted to have a relationship with me, it was going to be a while before we would be able to create something that would last forever. After a couple of dates, we knew that we wanted to have a lasting relationship, so we started dating, and in a few months, I left on my mission. While on my mission, I had severe headaches; however, I continued to serve with them. Eventually, I had to return home and find out why I had severe headaches.
On the plane ride home, Heavenly Father opened an idea to my heart. I had two paths to choose from that would shape the course of my life. I could heal and go back on my mission, or I could stay home and start an eternal family with my sweetheart. When I first got home from my mission, I didn't want to see both paths that Heavenly Father had placed in front of me. I wanted to finish my mission. I still had so much of the gospel I wanted to share, and so many more people I knew I could touch.
I called Kevin and talked to him. Kevin was so excited for me to be home! As we spoke, it seemed that no time had passed, we talked about how hard it was to be apart. I realized that Kevin had done most of the compromising in our relationship thus far. After praying to Heavenly Father, I realized that we had both done what we needed to do. Now it was time for us to grow and learn together instead of being apart. We were married a few months later, and I have never regretted my decision.
To me, this type of compromise is what keeps relationships growing! Both putting 100 percent in making sure that everything is best for the other person.

No comments:
Post a Comment