My husband, Kevin and I have always been pretty good at creating things to keep us close. When we were dating, we came up with what we consider now as our family logos. The first one is " Forever with Faith," and the second is "Making Memories." While we were dating, it was tough to see if we would ever make it past the dating stage because of my desire to go on a mission. Forever with Faith was a reminder that if we made it, it was because we did it with faith. What I love about these is that they helped us then and they continue to help us. When we come to a hard time, we remember that we can make it to eternity if we did it with faith and right now, we are focusing on making memories.
We have also created actions and symbols to help us look towards one another. The first action/symbol is three squeezes to the hand, which means "I love you." No matter the situation, Kevin and I can grab each other's hand and remind each other that we are thinking about them. It also can help us break awkward tension in the room. This one works even if we can't talk to each other. The other thing that we have developed over this past year of marriage is a circle that we make connecting our pointer finger with our thumb. This is a reminder that our love is eternal never-ending.
Now, these symbols and phrases are essential to my husband and my relationship. They may not seem like much, or even a little corny to some of those who know us, but they work for us. We know that the other one has our back no matter the situation, anywhere we are.
One thing that my husband and I have done several times is a personality test. Our favorite is five love languages if you haven't taken it, I highly suggest it. Single or married, it is good to know how you receive love and how those around you receive love.
Here's the link if you want to try it: https://www.5lovelanguages.com/

No comments:
Post a Comment