Friday, May 3, 2019

Keeping Family Together

Recently my husband and I have thought about this a lot. We want to start our family soon and can't imagine growing up in this world that continues to grow evil every day? How will we raise children in this evil world? How can we help them live in the world and not be of the world? President Kimball, he stated, “ …only those who believe deeply and actively in the family will be able to preserve their families in the midst of the gathering evil around us.” How do we become an active family?
The first thing that my husband and I have discussed is we need to teach them principles instead of the do's and don'ts because principles will guide them when we are not there.  Have you seen Despicable Me where Gru says "don't touch anything" and Agnus answers back " what about the floor?" and "What about the air?" It might have been easier to say "my house is full of things that can hurt you please be careful and not touch anything, not in this room."
 I would love my family to know the core doctrines of the church inside and out because doctrines never change. Especially with so many recent policies changes, it is essential for them to have a firm foundation in principles.
Also teaching them how to gain their testimony of things at a young age is crucial. Many of our young people are getting hit younger and younger with trail testers. 
The next thing that we have discussed is regular scripture study for ourselves and as a family. As I was growing up my family was a rough group sometimes to get family scripture study in every day, but I know that on those days my mom was praying for us and giving us the strength for the day. I want to be that type of mother; I want my family to know that when they are struggling mom is always praying for them.
Last but not least I want my family to know that our home is a haven. A place of refuge, a place where they come home and can get the stresses of the day off. I want them to feel like they can tell me everything even if it is bad. I don't want to feel like they will ever be judged, just loved. If you can have that in a home, I feel like you have gained everything in the world. Then you can help your family know that you are always there. This is where actual growing takes place.

No comments:

Post a Comment