Saturday, July 13, 2019

Happily Ever After

Growing up, I always admired many couples. I mean they had a best friend who they were able to be around whenever they wanted! Their own Prince Charming! What I didn't realize is  Prince Charming is everything I have ever wanted but life can be hard sometimes and Happily Ever After takes work. 

Last week I talked about fidelity in marriage and why that is important. That is the first step to your happily ever after. The next one is becoming one as a couple.
President Eyering once said
"Our Heavenly Father wants our hearts to be knit
together. That union in love is not simply an ideal. It is a necessity.
The requirement that we are one is not for this life alone. It is to be without end. The first marriage was performed by God in the garden when Adam and Eve were immortal. He placed in men and women from the beginning a desire to be joined together as man and wife forever to dwell in families in a perfect, righteous union. He placed in His children a desire to live at peace with all those around them."
To do this, we need to make sure that we are working together, trying our best. We need to make sure that pride is out of our relationship, and we are doing what is best for our spouse and us. We need to have clear goals on how we are going to work through things.
How do we do this? RESPECT! We also need to make sure that we are discussing with one another.
If we have respect, then we will genuinely look out for the other person. We will make sure that we are on the same page with them that we have the same goals.
I have a personal story that happened last night. My husband just got a new job a month ago, and we moved states. My husband has had weird schedules for his training as a manager, the last two weeks have consisted of 12 hour days him getting home eating dinner maybe watching a show and getting back to bed for his early morning the next day. Being in a new state with no job and friends miles away, it has been hard for me not to feel lonely. Last night when he got home I lost it I broke down and cried. My husband let me cry and told me to let it all out. After I was done crying, he asked what I needed. If I needed advice or for him just to listen. I told him I just needed him to listen, and he did.
Nights like this remind me why I want to be with him for eternity.
We do this by making sure we are on the same page. As Elder Ballard has talked about many times, we need to the council. I feel loved, respected, and needed when he is around. Now we aren't always like this, but I sure hope to be better. We need to make sure that we are supporting our spouses when they need us. This way Happily Ever After can happen.
My husband and I don't have any children with us yet. What are some things that you and your husband do to stay close even with the stresses of childhood? 

No comments:

Post a Comment